Engine Won’t Start or Problems Starting EngineSummary: Car won’t start, general engine starting problems, faulty alternator or starter motor?
If you’re having trouble starting your car, van, lorry, boat, industrial or agricultural application, there could be a number of faulty engine parts causing the problem. This short guide will help you to identify an alternator problem or a faulty starter motor.
First Things First – Tell Tale SignsTurn detective and look for evidence of a faulty alternator or starter motor. If you’re experiencing any of the following then a problematic alternator or starter motor may be the cause.
Common Symptoms of Alternator & Starter Motor Failure
• Abnormal noises, such as knocking sounds or clicking
• The engine is not turning over at all
• The engine struggles to turn over
• Nothing happens when you turn the key i.e. ignition doesn’t come on
• The engine cut out whilst you were driving
• Some electrical systems stopped working e.g. car radio or lights
• The lights are shining less brightly than usual
• A flat battery
Proceed to TestingIf you can identify with any of the symptoms above then it’s possible that you have a faulty alternator or starter motor. The next logical step is to test your alternator or test your starter motor. Our testing guides follow a systematic approach and will enable a correct root problem diagnosis.
Next Step: Visit our alternator testing or starter motor testing